Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Being Happy Mixed Media Canvas By Zoey

Hello everyone! Zoey here for my first post as Designer in this awesome team.


For those who do not know me, I am an Italian mixed media “artist” wannabe who loves playing around with tons of media and dimension! I also love to recycle whenever I can, in fact, for this project I will use one of my favorite “trash to treasure”… cardboard! To start with, I cut a piece of upcycled cardboard and ripped off some pieces here and there. I covered the surface using a sponge brush and Faber-Castel Design Memory Craft® Gesso - I love this gesso because it is very fluid. I made sure not to completely cover my surface.


I grabbed a few pieces of scrap paper from my stash, and I ripped them forming strips of paper. Using Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gel Medium I adhered these strips to the background. I also made sure that some strips were overlapping, to create a bit of dimension. When the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gel Medium was dry, I covered the surface again with a thin layer of Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gesso. This helps to send my text into the background, and preps my surface for mediums.

When everything was dry, I stamped one of my favorite stamps from the new stamp collection by Limor Webber Designs and Indigoblu: Ink Splat Butterfly Limor Webber Designs Stamps by Indigoblu. I stamped it with Versamark Ink, then I added clear embossing powder and heat set it with a heat gun.  At this point…it was finally time to add colors! I started off by spraying Steel Shimmer, Steampunk Sepia (from the Lindy’s Stamp Gang Industrial Chic by Limor Webber Designs) and Café au lait (from the Lindy’s Stamp Gang Tres Chic Set by Limor Webber Designs). The clear embossing acts as resist, and helps the stamped image appear through the mists. I kept adding sprays until I was satisfied with the result.


I heat set the sprays and then I added some more texture. First, I stamped with Archival Ink here and there with one of the Rugged Edge Stamps Limor Webber Designs by Indigoblu – this might be another of my favorite stamp sets! Through the Crafter’s Workshop Template 6×6 – Tiny Circles I added a bit of Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Whipped Spackle and heat set it to speed up the drying the time. I wanted more colors to help the Whipped Spackle blend into the whole background, so I grabbed some Lindy’s Stamp Gang Industrial Chic Magicals by Limor Webber Designs and with a small waterbrush I applied them to my canvas. I applied the color randomly and when I was ok with the result, again, I heat set everything.


I repeated the same steps above to another small piece of cardboard.Again, I stamped the Ink Splat Butterfly stamp onto a piece of old book page, I added color using the same color combination I used for the background and I fussy cut the butterfly. Over another piece of scrap paper I stamped my quote from the Dylusions Stamps – The Right Words that I also fussy cut.  I gathered all my embellishment pieces: cheesecloth, metal embellishment and twine, then began assembling my layers. I use the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gel Medium to glue all the embellishments and layers together.Here’s some detail photos…as you can see all of the texture going on!


I love that you can still see the splattered background from the Ink Splat Butterfly Limor Webber Designs Stamps by Indigoblu.


The sentiment had other words, but I only used the parts that I needed…


And here’s the final project :


What do you think about it? I hope you will like it! I had so much fun playing with all these great products that you can easily find in Limor’s Store. See below the complete list of materials I have used! Stay happy, stay creative…till next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment