Friday, July 3, 2015

Watercolor Card Tutorial by Tonya Gibbs

 
 

Hi everyone, I have a fun card tutorial for you today using the Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pens from Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft®.   This is a super simple card design that took about an hour to create. 





Today, I'm going to use these products, which are linked up to the store at the bottom of this post. 



You commonly see Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pens used in Mixed Media projects to add rich color and deep shadows. They are popular because they are created with India Ink. Which means when they are added to a prepped surface they are completely blendable, and they dry permanent. They typically write smoothly over artist mediums.  It is really fun to add shading, shadows, and highlights with these pens.  They come in 2 different styles, the larger pens are called "Big Brush" and they also come in a smaller size. Both styles have brush pen nibs so it makes coloring with them a cinch. Either version of these pens will work for this technique.



I want to share with you a way to use them as watercolors.  When you pick up the color of these markers with a moistened paintbrush, it slows down their drying time and gives you time to spread the pigment like a watercolor.   Look at the gorgeous detail provided with just a few colors. An Aquarelle, watercolor pencil was used to add sharp details to the greenery.


I have recently fallen in love with hand lettering.  I just love the personal touch it gives to my cards.  I used the Artist Essential Pens to add a sentiment to the inside of my card.  If you aren't comfortable with this step, you could always add a stamped sentiment.




I have prepared a process video of me sharing with you the techniques used to create this card.  The measurements for my finished card are as follows:
  • Card Base -  4.25 inches x 11 inches folded at 5.5 inches for a top folding card. 
  • White border & Inside White Panel  -  4 inches x 5.25 inches
  • Flower painting - 3.75 inches x 5 inches  (Watercolor Paper) 





Thank you for stopping in today, I hope i have given you a different idea of how to use your Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pens. Keep in mind, that you could substitute out the colors that I used to today. Just make sure you are using a light and dark value of whichever color you are using.  For more ideas and other card designs, please visit my blog. 

Tonya 

Supplies: 



1 comment:

  1. WOW! Tonya you have just put big brush artists pens in a whole new light for me!!! Fabulous post and thank you for the video too xx

    ReplyDelete